A shim is a thin piece of metal that fits between two surfaces to align or otherwise adjust their fit. United Western Enterprises offers a precision etching process to create shims without burns or other deformation, as flat as possible.
We can produce a wide range of custom metal parts, thanks to an advanced and affordable photochemical etching process. It allows us to create different types of shims, including:
- Thin Shims: Parts as thin as .0003” with complex geometries can be produced without stamping or other tools.
- Single Shims: Individual orders with the raw materials of your choice, with tight tolerances for specific production processes (all requirements can be met at low costs).
- Flat Shims: Flat shims and washers (down to .001” flat) can be produced in any complexity; single, laminated, and edge-bonded configurations are available.
- Custom Shims: We can manufacture shims with rectangular shapes and simple outside and inside dimensions, to complex, non-symmetrical configurations in any quantity.
Shims are used in a wide range of applications, including the most advanced engineering and industrial settings. Some of the most common applications include:
- Electronic equipment: Often used with printed circuit boards, to protect the CPU during heat-sink installation.
- Medical equipment: Ultra flat, tight tolerance parts for medical electronics, instruments, and devices.
- Military and aerospace: Used for everything from damping to integration with fuel tank and fuel injection systems.
We offer shims in many different materials, including:
- Stainless Steel
- Beryllium Copper
- Phosphor Bronze
Ready to Get Started?
Start the process today!